Water School


Can I camp on a sandbar in the river?

The streambed of all navigable rivers in Texas is state-owned; therefore, camping, fishing and picnicking are legal there, including on the sandbars.When camping or picnicking along the river, it is important to stay alert for possible rapid increases in river levels and speed due to rainstorms or water being released from the upstream dam. Be sure to respect the adjoining private property along the river by not trespassing and by cleaning up and packing away any trash that you create.
Read More

Can I camp at Brazos River Authority reservoirs?

Yes, BRA parks have campsites that are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Camping is free year-round at Lakes Granbury and Limestone, as well as September through May at Possum Kingdom Lake.Each BRA park offers amenities ranging from tables to shelters and grills and pits. Many of the parks also offer nearby restrooms and showers. If you prefer something a little less rustic, private groups offer cabin and RV sites. For more information about camping opportunities at BRA reservoirs, ...
Read More

Do I need a boating permit on the lake? On the river?

Texas law requires motorized boats, sailboats 14 feet or longer and U.S. Coast Guard documented vessels display a state registration on Texas public waters. This law does not apply to non-motorized canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, or rubber rafts. For more information about state permits, go here.Of the Brazos River Authority reservoirs, only one requires a permit.  Possum Kingdom Lake’s Recreational User Permit may be purchased through the lake office or through local vendors for one, three or...
Read More

Do I need a fishing license to fish on the river? On a lake?

In Texas, the state requires anyone who fishes in public waters to have a valid fishing license. There are a few exceptions to this law:No license is required for those younger than 17 or Texas residents born before Sept. 1, 1930.Residents born after this date that are 65 or older, can buy a Senior Resident Fishing License.People are also not required to have a license when fishing at a state park, such as the one at Possum Kingdom Lake.For more information about fishing licenses, go here.
Read More

What is a drought contingency plan?

A drought contingency plan is a strategy or combination of strategies for monitoring the progression of a drought and preparing a response to potential water supply shortages resulting from severe droughts or other water supply emergencies. The Brazos River Authority's drought contingency plan may be viewed here.
Read More

What is the USGS?

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) is a federal scientific agency that works in biology, geography, geology and hydrology. USGS is the nation’s primary civilian mapping agency. The agency also monitors streams and other bodies of water across the country for flow and depth. Among its other activities, USGS also monitors earthquakes and volcanic activity.The USGS web site may be found by clicking here.
Read More

What is an interbasin transfer?

An interbasin transfer is the sale of water from one river basin to another. This type of transaction requires the state to pass legislation before it can take place. The Authority has Interbasin Transfer Agreements with the Lower Colorado and Trinity River Authorities.
Read More
Page 8 of 21 First 67[8]910 Last

The information provided on this site is intended as background on water within the Brazos River basin. There should be no expectation that this information is all encompassing, complete or in any way examines every aspect of this very complex natural resource.

If you have questions about a post or would like additional information, please contact us or call 888-922-6272.