BELL COUNTY WATER CONTROL & IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT No. 1
Bell County Water Control & Improvement District No. 1
(the District) is the largest of the Brazos River Authority’s 62
municipal water customers. The District contracts with the
BRA for 62,509 acre-feet of water, drawing from Stillhouse
Hollow and Belton lakes.
Created in 1952, the District provides water and wastewater
services to approximately 300,000 people in Bell and
Coryell Counties. Among those served are the people of
Killeen, Harker Heights, Belton and Copperas Cove. It also
provides water to Fort Hood, the Bell County Water Control
and Improvement District No. 3 and 439 Water Supply Corporation.
Visitors to the Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area’s facilities quench their thirst thanks to water
delivered by the District.
The District also owns and operates a 90 million-gallon-perday
(mgd) water treatment plant on Lake Belton and is building
a 20 mgd plant at Stillhouse Hollow.
The District has three wastewater treatment plants with a total
capacity of 30 mgd. These help meet the waste treatment
needs of Killeen and Fort Hood. It also owns and operates a
newly-built compost facility in Killeen that produces 20,000
cubic yards of finished compost each year.
To learn more about the Bell County Water Control &
Improvement District No. 1, please click here.